Sunday, February 17, 2008

Beam Me UP!


In my Grandmother's day, letters were written to only people one knew.

In my youth, one might have a pen pal from 'across the pond'. Or, one might write to a boyfriend in the service or in college, or grandparents, or if you moved away, your parents. You may have had a friend with whom you exchanged Christmas and birthday cards.

I will always be amazed at the Internet. Where else can you meet people that become the best of friends even if you may never meet them?

Such is the case with someone I know from Michigan. I am going to perserve her identity and simple call her simply Fabulous.

I met her through someone else in my early on line days. Frank, who introduced us, has since died, yet Fabulous and I have kept in touch. She had a scanner long before I did and I would send pictures to her to have her scan them for me. (That's before I learned I could go to Kinko's and they would put them on a 3 1/2inch floppy).

For several years, she was one of a chosen few who had a special communication style. It is especially important to mention this because she is of the old school when letters are statements of mind thoughts and perhaps interchanges of information. Most communication ended with LOVE, but in the body of the letter, LOVE was not mentioned, unless of course, it was a syrupy letter written to one's sugarlump, and yes, most of us have written a few drippies in long hand.

Her emails will find you doubling over in laughter because when she explains situations, you can see it happening. For example: Her friend came over and cleaned up her yard and trimmed the pine tree. She did not want the tree trimmed and told him to stick the branches back in. He did. Obviously the dead branches would fall out in a wind but at the time of the trimming, she wanted them back in. I can see her standing on the front step with her walker hollering and I hope you can too! In our frequent emails she tells of experiences, pain, and concern. She talks of highlights, frustrations, and fears. She does all this as if she were sitting at your table talking. And when you need a hug, a virtual hug is as genunine as the physical one. Is it her spirit or is it her soul?

All of us who are cyber people know what I am talking about. We also know when a 'newbie' comes on and we can almost tell their age. Recently, I received a few emails from someone in their sixties, obviously a newbie making statements. Monologue. What was interesting was when I replied to the statements, I didn't get an answer. Now, if you write to someone and make a statement, isn't the idea to be ready to answer it? Isn't that a fair exchange?

Yet, another person I met on line was one of those Fabulous people. It was knock three times and your in. You know her soul and spirit. She communicates. Communication is not a game and it isn't available to be a guessing game. Try it.

Write in the spirit of expression and make that picture happen. Be teleported to someone's virtual porch to sit in lawn chairs on a nice day and drink ice tea and talk and laugh and allow friendships to grow and be nurtured.



Specialize your communication. Share. "Beam me up, Scottie"

e

No comments: