Tuesday, May 20, 2008

NOVEMBER 30, 1955 RONNIE'S LETTER

Wednesday, November 30, 1955

HEADLINE: K.E. LINDBERGH’S SON REVEALS REACTION TO SLAYING OF HIS DAD


Ten year old Ronnie Lindbergh’s feelings toward the unknown assailant who brutally murdered his father are typical of those harbored by other members of the family.


After a nerve wracking 13 day vigil waiting for some word from their husband and father, Mrs. Kenneth Lindbergh and her four children received the shattering news of the discovery of his body through public news sources.


While these aren’t Ronnie’s own words exactly as he gave them, this letter portrays his feelings toward the mad killer. Mrs. Lindbergh authorized its publication in the interest of doing some possible good even though “our own cannot be remedied.”


TO THE MAN WHO KILLED MY DAD

I cried when we found that you had killed my dad. So did my mom and my sister’s. Mom kept telling us to be brave all those two weeks because she was so sure that no one would do that for just a few dollars.

BUT YOU DID

I don’t know who you are but I feel sorry for you. I guess you couldn’t have had a very good dad, otherwise you wouldn’t be like you all are.


Also I feel sorry for you because if you have kids of your own they wouldn’t be very proud of you the way I was of my dad.


Yesterday I read something about some men not being very good fathers. Usually I don’t read that kind of stuff but since you did that awful thing it’s different. The comics aren’t much fun like they used to be when dad and I would read them together.


And that piece I read some fathers don’t do things or have much fun with their families.


OUR DAD DID


He used to take us for rides and the whole family went on vacation together and we’d all go to church on Sundays. That night he went with you he had planned to take us kids to a party at the high school if he got home in time. We didn’t go.


It’s said that most fathers didn’t take their kids on fishing and hunting trips.


OUR DAD DID


He and I often went fishing and hunting together. He let me use the .410 shotgun when we went hunting partridges. Maybe next year grandpa will take me out. Dad said that when he was a little boy, grandpa used to take him hunting and fishing. It said that many fathers did not spend much time with their families.


OUR DAD DID


He always did a lots of work around the house fixing things and making things in our basement. Often he’d let me help him with a lot of that stuff. The whole family would sometimes sit and watch television or just talk. He would hold my little sister Nancy on his knee. Guess she won’t miss him as much as the rest of us will, Nancy is only one year old.


It’s sad that many girls didn’t get to know their fathers well enough to know how a real man should act. The fathers never took any interest in what the girls were doing.


OUR DAD DID


He was always interested in how Janice was doing in high school and he bought her a sewing machine. He taught her and Evonne how to swim and skate. They’ll miss him a lot.


There were lots of big words in that thing I read that were not used in fifth grade but I know what juvenile delinquency is. It said the best way to stop it was…POP GO HOME.


We sure wish our dad could.


Ronald Lindbergh


HEADLINE: MRS. K. LINDBERGH THANKS PUBLIC FOR ACTS OF KINDNESS


In behalf of myself and family I want to express my thanks for everything that has been said and done to help us face this terrible tragedy. We feel that you know and respect Kenneth and will all miss him.
Though we can’t understand why such a terrible thing should happen in our community, we long for the day when all evil shall be overcome and will dedicate our lives to carry on in the inspiration and love we will always have for a beloved husband and father.
Mrs. Kenneth E Lindbergh, Janice, Ronald, Evonne, and Nancy

No comments: