Thursday, August 21, 2008

A LINK TO NEW SOLUM

Hotel West 314 Main ave Just in from the corner where the Times is now. The hotels of TRF were featured in a blog on or about the 27th of January. Thanks to Dave, we have a picture of what the Hotel West looks like. I don't know if you can see it on the picture, but the S on the West is written backwards, why do you think that is?




Old Trunks and Worn Shoes recieved an email from someone formerly from Thief River Falls recently. We learn his family, too, had roots in New Solum Township. I haven't given Dave time to agree to let me publish his letter--he can make me walk across the swamps near Rosewood.






"It has been a long time since I have heard your name! Sam Krankkala sent me your Blog. I am very impress to see you perseverance in digging up the past. I have a trunk full of stuff from both parents. By the way are still living. Dad just turned 95 and my Mother will be 96 in Sept. She lives by her self and goes shopping two to three times a week. Dad is in a nursing home next to my Mother in Coon Rapids MN. It will be there 70th wedding anniversary in Dec.Dads Mother came from Viking and her maiden name was Halvorson. It was her father Halvor Halvorson that had the Hotel West. I am not sure for how long. The Halvorsons from Viking had a sir name of Hellem when they first move into New Solom twnship. The old maps show Hellem marked on them.My father was the only child that my Grandmother had so many of the items she kept are next to new. I have a book on the Geneology of the Brattland ,Olson, Newton, Halvorsons families that was written in 1942. It is interesting reading of there travels immigrating to this Country".
Halver Halverson was an early settler in New Solum County and will blog about that tomorrow.

e

No comments: