Friday, September 19, 2008

WHO GETS TO DRIVE?

Perhaps there is a reason your husband drives the 40 miles over gravel roads. Maybe you don't like to drive or no longer can. In our household, some said he got car sick until he started to drive. It rare when we are in a vehicle together that I am behind the wheel. It is easier than having an instructor and I don't mean Mr. Adams, in the passenger seat.

I suppose that all of us who have driven for years have our own quirks. Maybe to your in car partner you wait too long at a stop sign or maybe you appear to be closer than you really are. The truck as 56,000 miles on it now, 95% of those miles are highway driving. We have not come close to having an accident; Tom is really focused behind the wheel. I didn't get really spooked until he said he was seeing double. That is when I told him to shut one eye. He has had four lens changes in the last few months; next is cataract surgery, but that is another story.

When I got my license in high school, I got a car. Daddy knew the only driving we did was in town. He took me out on the highway on the way to Warren to get some experience, although I was not supposed to take the Chevy out of town. Mother was along, SHE LAID DOWN IN THE BACK SEAT!!!

I remembered that when my daughter was learning to drive a shift. We called the car Burger Time. We went out on a gravel road and her frustration and my frustration equaled Mother gets out of car and lets her experiment with finding the place in the clutch to shift. (Meanwhile I walked the road and although I had never been afraid of dogs, was a little jittery of the two Doberman's growling and following me).

I don't know what happened the first time Ryen drove the Geo. We found ourselves over the curb and in a yard. Something about clutch + new driver.

On April Fool's Day a few years ago, Tom had a heart attack. It was also a time of a big snow storm. He went to the hospital by ambulance. As all of us know, people are not hospitalized long. It was still snowing when we went home. I DROVE. I got lessons as to which lane to be in.

So, who gets to drive?

e

No comments: