Tuesday, April 22, 2008

WHAT IS IN YOUR ATTIC?





Today's blog is inspired by Linda. She says in an early morning note, " I do have blankets in the attic..LOL.Most of them are from Gary's mom.The girls didn't want them when we cleaned out her house, so of course I took them.
I use a one of those light weight fleece blankets for the summer or I have several light weight handmade quilts too. I am one of those people that have to have a cover no matter how warm the nights are. Even as a kid I couldn't!! How about a light weight flannel blanket? Sorta like a sheet? I have those too.Good topic for a blog...things in the attic!!! That is one of my goals for this week, remember.................Yes, Linda, I do remember your project for this week is to clean the attic when it is warm enough to be up there. Linda already has her shop vac up there!

Let's think about attics. Do you remember if you had a trap door somewhere? Was it in the closet? In the garage? Or did you have a pull down staircase? Thinking, thinking.....


Where did you store 'that stuff'??? Where was/are your Christmas decorations. Old Trunks almost said Christmas tree! Then, I fondly remembered, as a child we had fresh trees and the children had mostly fresh trees. Mostly, until as a mother, I got tired of picking long needles out of shag carpet until Easter.


The attic was a sacred place. Stuff got stored there that didn't get used regularly. It was a place to put stuff that didn't organize into anything else. Linda wrote of storing bedding.


When Shirley is once again available, we are going to have to ask her about what was in the attic at the house in Rosewood. The family lived there for a long time. If I remember correctly, the trap door to the attic was in the bathroom. On the fringe of my mind I am remember something about the odd things kept there. I don't know what in the name of heaven Bob and I were doing up there, I just remember I was really dirty when we came down and Ella wasn't really pleased that Bob and I had gone up there. It was probably the same day we went to the basement to read the stone carvings by my great uncle.


Why do attics charm us? What is it about a place in a house that holds items that we either, keep for the sake of, hide for the sake of, or look for on occasion? Isn't there a song called, "Attics in my Life"? If so, what does the song talk about?



And Linda? May I rent your flannel blankets? None to be found in Fargo. We will just have to sweat as oldies until the Internet order comes.



WHAT? WHAT? Is this an inside joke? Let me tell you the rest of the story.



Following what seemed like a all night dream and the cantor, "I will get right on it", I planned to resolve our sleeping problem TODAY!


My sweet Thomas is an armstrong heater. One can put one's hand several inches above his body and feel the heat radiating from him. In my dream, he asked that I put on the summer blanket. I told him it was the summer blanket.


In visiting with Linda about what is in the attic, she stated she had all types of blankets in her attic and suggested a flannel blanket. That seemed like the right answer.


In a spring rain with wind, I was off to a good linen store to find the product. I could buy an entire set of flannel sheets for $60.00, or a down blanket for about the same price. The down blanket was dry clean only. I was disappointed in their stock and left meeting the rain blown wind on the way to the truck. I would come home, hop on the net and find just what Linda had suggested.


In seconds I had a list of suppliers from which I could order. From one company, I could get chocolate brown for 73% off. Who wants chocolate brown? And so it came to pass that I wound up at the Vermont Country Store, an old haunt where I have found things like Blue Waltz perfume, peppermint pigs, and nail polish to make my nails look like a movie stars. Well, sort of!


But the flannel blankets, Like the ones that covered Grandpa Phil were in the catalog. I did not have to buy ones that were striped or plaid. I could buy plain natural color. I could buy a color, or lack of color that would not fade out. The salmon plaid blankets which adorn the bed over those nine years he was bedridden were not the color or fade of choice.


Perhaps, like Linda, the flannel blankets will find their way to our attic. Perhaps. Yet, I am thinking the idea of something very light weight with the ability to breathe may be the perfect answer for us.


Perhaps some of you sleep on flannel sheets or jersey. The experiment we are doing is strictly as a light blanket over a cotton sheet.

My question now is, if one is great, are two better? Are we having fun yet?



Sitting on the porch waiting for the mailman.



e

No comments: