Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The 8:05 on Track 37

It was the second day of January in 1998. I came to work at the durable medical company where I was employed, switched the phones over from the answering service and walked to my desk dropping my purse on the counter. The phone rang at 8:05. It would be a life alternating phone call.

Was my advertisement filled? Peut Etre. Maybe.

Wanted: Widowed male in fifties, starving to share life with a Bobcat who is not declawed that has a shivering kitten within her. Someone who will not appease her when she is strong and wickedly convincing. Someone who can laugh and cry and walk through the mazes of one sensual woman into her soul and capture her heart, her mind, and become a her hero. Apply if you dare.

What do you talk about to someone you haven't talked to for thirty seven years? If you could only fill your lungs with air once and talk only until they are empty, what would you say?

He slipped right by my invincible day wall. He marched toward me and I stood there, without resistance. It is all about soul and knowing what someone is feeling; it is about healing and miracles. The sharp wit and the quick tongue of the Syberflurt hammer was put aside. There were no games, there was only genuine delight in hearing each others voices. Maybe it was his slow, deep giggle rumbling out of him and into me which started at my toes and encircled me.

Nevertheless, it was on January 2, 1998, that my ad was answered at 8:05. What ever had happened in the 37 years between living side by side in Thief River Falls and that moment didn't seem to matter. It appeared as if two friends were taking a walk on a summer night and we hadn't missed a step.

We would spend 25,000 minutes on the phone and we would see each other in person every three weeks until I moved to Fargo on Memorial Day.

Obviously I have a folder out with early FAX messages.

On the 3rd of January, the lioness sent him ..............

Stage one
Humor
Affection
Rapport
Empathy
Mesmerizing
Intelligence



It has been 10 years since that morning.

He IS my Sweet Thomas.

e

No comments: