Monday, December 29, 2008

HER NAME IS PEARL

December 29

I like to be amazed at how a new situation sparks a memory. Actually, I love it!

Tom was talking to his oldest son who told his dad about how he was going the wrong direction and his child knew they were 'lost'. Bob went on to reminisce about how, as a little guy, he wanted to go to the store at the end of the block while visiting his grand parents and how he got lost because he went the opposite direction when he left the house.

Another concept that Old Trunks adores is when without standing on the table top and hollering, one picks up on the want/need/wish. For those of you who have family visit, you understand what I am talking about.

History: In 1979, Mother sent each of our family a Christmas stocking. Rachel's was a ballerina slipper, Bud's a sneaker, Ryen's a teddy bear, and mine was a Christmas tree. That means my tree and Ryen's teddy bear are nearly 30 years old.

The family complaint was that the Christmas tree gaped open and Santa's filling was not supported by the sock. And every year, regardless of which life time I was in, the complaint remained.

Last year, Sweet Thomas and dear son Ryen complained again. And I stated, "If you don't like it, do something about it."

We had made a trip to a local hardware store around the 10th December to get light bulbs, while there, Tom took time to look at all the socks and picked one out for me. I mentioned to Tom that Ryen may remember as well. While decorating, I tied it on the back of the dining room chair with a ribbon when I tied Ryen's on his chair and Tom's on his captain chair. I retired the Christmas tree.

Ryen designed an angel, made the pattern, sewed, dipped, dyed, and tied this lovely creature with a Santa pocket. It is precious and all of us are enthralled with the design, the talent, and the time he charged to making the angel, who, by the way, has a name, it is Pearl.

Included is a picture of him working at his nine foot table covered with pieces and parts of fabric as well as the floor. The picture says, "I'm not messy, I'm creative." The picture itself tickled me so I requested an 8x10 to put in his picture frame which sits on the corner table in the dining room with all the other precious people in our life including the message of not messy.

Old Trunks hopes you are a listener. It makes a mother and a wife feel very special.

e

No comments: