Sunday, November 8, 2009

BASEBALL QUOTES



There is something to be said about being quoted. Baseball players and managers say crazy things that hit the papers and airways. Who knows if they are even in context.

Here are a few to make you giggle:

Sparky Anderson February 22, 1934
"He's (Willie Stargell) such a big strong guy he should love that pitch. He's got power enough to hit home runs in any park, including Yellowstone."

Don't call us (ballplayers) heroes. Fireman are heroes."

"Me carrying a briefcase is like a hot dog wearing earrings."

"Sparky came here two years ago promising to build a team in his own image. Now the club is looking for small, white haired infielders with .212 batting averages." - Detroit Tigers Sportscaster Al Ackerman (on air)

Connie Mack December 22, 1862 – February 8, 1956),
"Humanity is the keystone that holds nations and men together. When that collapses, the whole structure crumbles. This is as true of baseball teams as any other pursuit in life."


"After all my years, there are two things I've never got used to - haggling with a player over his contract and telling a boy he's got to go back." -

Whitey Herzog November 9, 1931


Herzog's Rules 1. Be on time. 2. Bust your butt. 3. Play smart. 4. Have some laughs while you're at it.

"If you don't have outstanding relief pitching, you might as well piss on the fire and call the dogs."


"I'm not buddy-buddy with the players. If they need a buddy, let them buy a dog."

"Some people asked me if I would be interested in managing the A's. I said a definite no thank you. At night, that place is a graveyard with lights."

"The only thing bad about winning the pennant is that you have to manage the All-Star Game the next year. I'd rather go fishing for three days."

Cy Young March 29, 1867 – November 4, 1955
"Gosh, all a kid has to do these days is spit straight and he gets forty-thousand dollars to sign."

"All us Youngs could throw. I used to kill squirrels with a stone when I was a kid, and my granddad once killed a turkey buzzard on the fly with a rock."


Yogi Berra born May 12, 1925
"All pitchers are liars or crybabies."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

"The game's isn't over until it's over."

Babe Ruth 1895–1948,
"Aw, everybody knows that game, the day I hit the homer off ole
Charlie Root there in Wrigley Field, the day October first, the third game of that thirty-two World Series. But right now I want to settle all arguments. I didn't exactly point to any spot, like the flagpole. Anyway, I didn't mean to, I just sorta waved at the whole fence, but that was foolish enough. All I wanted to do was give that thing a ride... outta the park... anywhere." Source: My Greatest Day in Baseball (John P. Carmichael)

No comments: