Sunday, December 2, 2007

What a Difference a Photo Makes.

The above picture was glued down on to black photo paper in a scrap book. It is a picture of Andrew Opseth and his grand sons Harry, (L) and Stanley. It is not known what the name of the dog is. As you can see, the paste has ruined the clarity of the picture. If this was not your relative, it is doubtful you would take the time to look at the details.
This is the same picture which has been processed to try to get rid of the discolorization and allow for some detail. The picture was actually sent to a lab in the late sixties. (My grandfather gave me all the pictures after Grandma died in 1966). It gives better detail. I certainly wished for more but settled on for it because I never though my wish would ever come true. I hadn't messed around with it on my equipment, I have been working on another family.


Becareful what you wish for! My wish came true. As you know, I have been processing Anderson/Rye pictures which I picked up from the Steinhauer house in October.


I got an email from Judy recently, stating she had gone through the other....considered newer pictures and had a packet of the children she would send.

Yesterday the mail man delivered the pictures with a note about the above photograph. It is an original. It is printed on a postcard. Look how clear it is! It has never been glued.

Now, relative or not, one can see Andrew's hook! We can see clearly see the leaves on the plant and for those of you who are gardeners, you may even be able to identify what is in the pot. Stanley also has real legs!

It is hard to know why or how the house became part of Ella's collection. I am wondering if it was left in the house in Rosewood when Gust sold it to Anderson's. I do not recognize the house in the back ground. Was it Olaf's house across the road from Anderson's? Was in Benhard and Julia Ranum's house? It does not look like the hut that Andrew lived after Hannah died. Harry was tall and Daddy was not. If the boys were 12 and 10, that makes the photo date mid twenties. Could the picture have been taken at the Opseth farm? Why in the name of heaven who anyone put the door on the edge of the house like that? The steps are made with logs between the planks. Why are there two doors right together? Did one go up and the other down? That is, is the one door into a cellar?

Thanks to Judy for sending the picture.

e

No comments: