Thursday, July 10, 2008

DDT




Imagine this: in 1939 someone was awarded the Nobel Prize for discovering DDT. Yes, I am talking about the product in the fogger in the Jeep we chased as children.


It took care of the pest like-critters, as well as good critters. It screwed up the natural universal cycle. It could be effective for two to fifteen years in the soil. It got into human systems as well as wild life. The Bald Eagle was put on the endangered species list because of DDT. Finally, in 1972, DDT, by law, was no longer used.


My sweet Thomas has fished for over sixty years. He is aware of how the population of wild life, once affected by DDT, has returned. Each lake now seems to have an eagle in flight as well as loon families on the water.


According to a recent article in the Fargo Forum, Loons are faring well in Minnesota with an estimated population of 12,000. Only Alaska has more loons than Minnesota.


DDT it ain't for me!


e

1 comment:

shirrema1 said...

This is a special blog. My son and myself appreciate it very much. My sons name is Eric and mine is Shirley. The information is so valuable to us. We would very much like to get in touch with you if you would allow it. If so I will send information on how to do so.