Tuesday, August 5, 2008

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A LENS MAKES









For those of us who are frustrated with old pictures where people's faces are the size of a pin head, what about our children's children who would look at the second picture and not have a clue as to what it is. Yet, when the group picture of the pelicans on the mat was taken, it SEEMED like they were closer. It always reminds me of my old friend, Jim, who sent me a picture of a whale. On the back of the picture, it said, "Well, it looked bigger."
Last night, I recieved a picture from a friend in New York State. It was a Sphinx moth on her phlox. It is magificient. She was right on top of it! The detail was excellent. Close up.
My son sent me a picture of himself via his phone. It was detailed and the color was true. Yet, when Logan tried to take a picture of a loon with his cell phone, it was, alas, a dot in the water.
Enter digital SLR. No, you can't do movies. No, you can't use the LCD screen to take the picture. Yes, it is like an SLR of old where what you see is what you get. Yes, zoom lens is available.
Tom gave me a SLR for my birthday. I have had it three weeks. I have taken almost 1000 pictures during the experiment. That is how we turned a mat of white into a pelican lifting off. He also gave me the gift of following loons, pelicans, and geese around with the boat for these last three weeks.
So you see, there is a reason to be 64 today!
e



No comments: