Monday, September 1, 2008

LABOR DAY BEGINNINGS 1885

The celebration of Labor Day should take were outlined in the first proposal of the holiday — a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations" of the community, followed by a festival for the recreation and amusement of the workers and their families. This became the pattern for the celebrations of Labor Day. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civic significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.

Old Trunks knew labor day was a celebration for the working man. Yet, she knew farmers harvested, hospitals were open as were places to eat. For the most part, it was a day to transfer from summer to fall; school always started the day after Labor Day in Thief River Falls. Does anyone remember a parade?

There is something to be said about the stretch of time from Memorial Day to Labor Day. We call it summer and we place it as a time for pleasure, knowing when fall comes it will be time to work until the next summer months come to us.

On Memorial Day of 1956, it was raining in the morning. Daddy had gone out to check on the ponies as they weren't in the corral waiting for their morning oats. From the kitchen window, I could see him leading a pony named Topsy, who was followed closely by a colt who we named Lark. She was a multi-colored pinto who appeared to have springs in her legs. She was friendly and loved to be brush.

On the night before Labor Day of 1956, my parents went to the Eagle's for a dance. I stayed at my grandparents.

Near noon, which would have been Labor Day, mother came to get me. She told me the ponies had gotten out and Lark had been killed by a ball player from Argyle. Grandma was livid, she told mother she didn't have to be so blunt about it. Grandmother held me as I sobbed. Mother told her that I would find out anyway and it was better I knew before I couldn't find her. I was twelve I was old enough to know the truth. The dead animal service had been called and picked her up before I got home. I don't know how far the herd of 25 ponies went, I never found the spot where she was killed and no one showed me. I don't know how my parents knew. I still think if I was old enough to know part, I was old enough to know all.

Another Labor Day I remember was 40 years later. A good, yet very ill friend, life was diminshed. He was bedridden in our living room in a hospital bed. Nurses attended him and he was cared for by aides during the week. Before Memorial Day, I asked him if he wanted a party or a funeral. He wanted a party and were able to get most of his brothers and sisters to Lawrence for the three day weekend. He died the Labor Day weekend. There was no funeral, on the anniversary of his birthday, I scattered his ashes in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas. There was no parade. To him, it was more important to celebrate life. His slogan was, LIFE: Be in it!

Today is Labor Day 2008, may it have good memories for you!

e

No comments: