Tuesday, September 30, 2008

HARE IS NOT A BUNNY

Answer me this: Did you grandparents or parents have a pen pal they never met in person? Did you, as a child, have a pen pal? Old Trunks tried it once, the kid on the other end wanted American cigarettes. Tell me, how was I suppose to be assured that smoke would get across the ocean and still be 'fresh'? I suppose he expected a carton; I was thinking single smoke. When mother found the letter she was furious! Obviously there was nothing secret in our household.

Today, I would like to honor Harriet. I met her on line because I knew Frank. I got into the group because of the two of them, both Polish and amazingly friendly people.

Frank was in air traffic control somewhere in Oklahoma. His wife Betty had died and after a time, he was connecting with people on AOL. Frank remarried a local. Frank died.

But Hare lives on in Michigan and writes the very best emails. When I met her, she had a dog named Tuffy, a little Yorkie and was, and still is a widow. She has lots of color when she writes and you can just feel the expressions as she writes. It the mid 90's she was in pretty good health and played darts, danced, and oh dear, I better not say what else! :)

I have not met her in person although I have talked with her on the phone.

One year, we were all excited because she had her September 30 birthday on a blue moon--which only happens....once in a blue moon!

She is a caring, loving lady with children and grand children near her. Her beau moved into an apartment, therefore, Harriet now has his dog. Penny likes to sleep under the covers and gets up late in the day. If the dog doesn't sleep with her, the dog whizzes on the floor, (but never in the bed).

Harriet is one of those people everyone should know. If not her, then someone with a spirit like hers.

Happy Birthday to you, dear friend.

e

No comments: