Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Communicating in Secret

In the days of the cave man, it is said that men communicated by dragging a women to the cave. Well, that may not have changed but work rules have evolved because of technology.

When do you think handbooks for employees started? Do you think loggers had handbooks? What rules did they follow? Who made them?
At my last occupation, the handbook stated we were not to use the phone for personal calls except in an emergency. I wondered why when my dentist called because I had a toothache why it wasn't an emergency. I learned that emergency calls where difference for different people. I said OH WELL.
Another rule that was in the hand book was, once you resign you may not come back in the building to visit. Except, I was told that was not for me, I could come any time. OH WELL.
By now, the rule book probably states: Turn off cell phones. When I retired, the snack room was musical with phones ringing in most pockets any time of the day. People would say they were at lunch or on break, even when they weren't.
During my time in durable medical in Kansas, there was no rule book but the rules were made up as we went. It got to the point that personal phone calls had to be stopped. People would say they were on their break or at lunch and use it anyway. Some, like myself, took calls before work or after work. There was never a rule about pager messages that were written in code, a pre-text message concept.
Enter cubicles. Enter cell phones. Enter texting. Enter new and more rules. No, no, no. Why does this remind me of prohibitation?
Now, let's think about this: My grandmother's both worked in restaurants. How many times a day did they communicate with customers? Where they ever disciplined for over talking?
What would have happened to Ranum Construction if Daddy had not communicated with his staff and the customers?
What would have happened when I managed a gift shop if I did not talk with customers? I did get in trouble for talking too long, however.
What would have happened if I did not have great phone skills in durable medical? (Gorden said talk to them like you love them).
The question remains. Don't we, as humans need to communicate with others?
What if, everytime we had a thought about communicating with someone we wrote it on a scrap of paper just to see how many emails or phone calls we might make a day. Sort of a poor man's memo. Isn't that what has happened in the job place? Thinking of child equals email?
Now, if a company can write a rule and tell us not to use the phone or computer do they actually think they can cut the thoughts out of our brain? Do they really believe they can re route our thought process by making a rule? Aren't mini emails a way to pass off a thought and go on?
If one can't communicate with the outside world, will there be more internal emails? Won't they get personal? Isn't that worse? Then it is black and white. I think I watch too much Law and Order.
When I started on the Internet I was a junkie. I am still fascinated with its universe. I suspect I always will be.
But this I know: Someone abused the rules so everyone suffers. I hate that rule. I also know that if you put your finger in the dike at point A, the water is going to find a way to point B.
Do people need to communicate? Yes. Will you? Yes. Will you find a loop hole or watch others find it? Yes. Will you? Maybe. Will you say it isn't fair? Most likely. Is it? Most likely.
Can you do anything about it? Like, rewrite the book? Good Luck. Is the book designed for ALL employees? Yes. Do all employees follow it? No.
This blog is dedicated to everyone who ever opened their mouth and communicated in some sort of way, even if you where hushed for it, like in church when your idea seemed much more important than prayer....maybe it was prayer and the humans who made the rules just weren't universal enough to understand.
e

No comments: