Tuesday, July 22, 2008

....HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT.......

........The things your parent's used, that you used as an adult that are on their way out?

Can you remember taking film to the store to have it sent away to have it processed? For me, it was the Ekeren Drug Store, later it was dropped off at SuperX, in Fargo, it was Hornbacher's Grocery or one hour at K-Mart! Ella sent hers away to Brown, they were returned to her. Most of her negatives were well preserved and copies could be made of the pictures. Some camera companies are no longer making those cameras.

I ask you, do you have a film camera that has a partial roll in it? Yes, we do, too.

The beauty of digital for us personally, is Tom, who has a good eye for pictures, is filming again. We trimmed his 15 pictures this morning to four, (his choice).

Another thing that my parents did not have was a VHS player. I remember when they came out and how neat it was to rent movies. As a go forward item, we bought a VCR and DVD player together. What we wanted was a DVR, that is a unit which would record on DVD's rather than VCR. That was about six years ago and they weren't available yet.

There are many commericals aimed at people who don't have cable. We know the line, in 2009 we won't be able to get programming unless we have a box and one can get a coupon for them! Let's say you don't have satellite or cable, what are you, about 15%? We are in the 15% at the lake but we can watch TV shows on the computer!

Did your parents ever write counter checks in pencil? Did you ever write them in red ink so they had to be hand processed? At a store in Fargo, if you write a check, it clears and they give the check back to you! Did you ever think that a debit card would be your first line of payment? Or do you carry cash with you for purchases under $50? Come to think of it, Mother charged her groceries and paid at the end of the month.

Speaking of charging.....My parents drugstore of choice was Ekeren's. Everything from pills to make up was charged. Each charge went on a simple two ply form. It wasn't itemized, it simple said, CHARGED and daddy's name.

It was Crazy days in Thief River Falls. Anita and I had gone to town. We needed a little walking around money so I made an agreement with Ekeren's that I would buy this coin purse if I could have them put $5 in it first. Nothing was ever signed, there was no way of my parent's ever knowing what I did. Except of course, when they just happened to tell mother about it.

In the 1930's, 25% of America had an out house, more in the country. When was the last time you were in a pit toilet? Unless you picnic, go to concerts, camp, or fish, it may have been awhile. Never mind, they still stink.

I am thinking about my children: I know that Ryen only has a cell phone. I don't mean to sound like only, but think about this: We just got an answering machine recently because that is all that was available. People with cell phones HAVE voice mail. Ryen can ALWAYS be reached. If he moves across America his phone number will stay the same. It is highly possible Bud does the same. Recently, Rachel stated she was going to a better cell set up. How long will it be before 'land lines', answering machines, and dial up to internet will no longer be available?

Now, I am showing my true colors. I do not look at the physical phone book. I am annoyed they even put it on the step. It is just easier to find the number on line. Recently some one came to Fargo, it was easier to search the hotel and find the amenities than to flip through the phone book yellow pages......(I am sure they are making the font size smaller just to make me growl).

It wasn't that long ago that motels/hotels did not offer WIFI as a perk. If you wanted to be on line and had a local number, they charged you ten cents a call. Even here on the shores of Leech Lake, there is WIFI and laptops are popping up all over. Ten years ago it was plug into the land line and dial up, then use the cell phone to dial up, and now WIFI. So, you see there was a time I could be in the boat with a laptop using a cell phone to talk to America!

Cell phones? VCR? CD? Wireless? Debit cards? Would my parents have gotten on board?

Think about it!

e





No comments: