Sunday, July 6, 2008

THE PATH

Old Trunks is not like the little boy in second grade that has read 700 books. Nor am I like Inbee Parks who, at the age of nine, watched golf and decided that is what she wanted golf as an adult. Nor, am I like my own son, who wrote a letter to Walt Disney while in first grade proclaiming that when he was old enough, he would like to do voices for cartoons. Did Rachel's hidden wishes to become a teacher come to her during the Little House on the Prairie era?

Old Trunks is more like reading five books on how to plant a tulip bulb although there is only one way which she could have learned by watching a friend. Old trunks appears to be on a search for a quest of personal fulfillment as she finds her own path in this wonder called our universe. Along the way. finding people who have been an influence, often times in a dramatic way. She likes to think she listens and hears.

A grand on line friend has a quote. "...the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes"..................Folks that have retired may dismiss themselves from the day to day working enviroment yet changes happen within their circle as well as on the outside. Perhaps the biggest difference is we can make our own map showing us a hundred alternatives and a thousand paths.

At each decade we can ask our selves, where will I be in 10 years? Is this for the sake of a goal? Or is it hope? What drives you to march down a road less traveled? Old Trunks likes fire trails and grabbing and stumbling, and falling into a new project and working it until it 'feels' finished. She likes the drama of having the frustration of working it out.

Perhaps the best way to explain it is with a conversation Tom and I had a long time ago. Concerned about being 'boxed in', I asked him before I moved to Fargo to tell me the difference between us. He said, "If the two of us where painting rainbows, you would have a huge brush, never draw a line, and the paint would appear out of nowwhere. I, (Tom), would have a little brush, search for paint, draw the rainbow, and have to get in the mood. Before I had barely started, you would be repainting yours. At first I thought it was because you did it so fast that you wanted to do it over, but after watching, I realized that you could see it from many different ways and found it was ever changing."

Let's get back to Ann's quote.............."The only thing that stays the same is everything is changing".....................

I still don't understand the goal thing for life.

e

No comments: