Saturday, October 25, 2008

DOES HANDWRITING TELL THE STORY?

Old Trunks bought a book in Los Gatos last fall. It is to analyze handwriting. The book hasn't been opened, I don't have enough samples in hand, only in my mind.

Today, one of the articles on the AOL news was about handwriting.

Recently, I was asked to write a real letter using a pen.

Over the weekend, I watched someone journal in long hand.

That is four reasons to consider talking about it in a blog.

A letter written by my great grandfather to his friend in Norway was open scripted. Was it because of the dip-to-ink or because of his personality?

Before I started school, I sat on my grand mother's lap and watched as she translated English recipes to Norwegian. Both her and grandpa, her husband, wrote with a rolled scroll. The only sample I have of her now is what she wrote in the Opseth Bible. Grandpa Benhard wrote me one letter, which I have saved all these years.

I tried to write like grandma. By the time I started school and was required to write, I had a pretty good claim on it. It was the day of the ruler; your script was to be according to the chart on the wall. So, I got my hands smacked.

As I watched Mary, at the scrap book retreat, I wondered if she had taken the same penmanship course my own mother had. Mary seemed to move her hand as if she was making OOOOOOOOO. It was beautiful.

Now, mother's handwriting never changed. It didn't matter if it was a grocery list, a cross word puzzle, or a letter, it was always the same. How did she do it? She learned young and did not experiment, that is how she did it!

Daddy had a running cursive/print style with a lean. Greg wrote back/front/up. He had a flat open style of print--he liked to make people out of the letter "O".

Her name was Marilyn. She was one of those left handed people learning in a right hand world. She cramped up to make her writing look 'right handed'.

It seems to me to be a personal preference. Does one's hand writing evolve? If so, why? Do you have letters in your cursive which you have adopted from people you have known? WHO?

Where is that old year book? Do the mini thoughts written by class mates
show the varieties of personalities even as high school students?

Think about it.

e

No comments: