Wednesday, October 29, 2008

HALLOWEEN PART THREE

Although I never tipped a out house, (out door toilet), my dad said it was great fun. Oliver, my children's uncle, stated he moved the privy, and when someone came to tip it, they fell into the old hole. OH MY!

There were no safety issues with food when I was growing up. No one sorted our candy or had it x-rayed. We just ran from door to door for what seemed like hours gathering candy. Half way, we would go home, get another bag and hit the street again. And yes, mother got the fruit and cupcakes. Those oranges were heavy!!! They must have balanced out the popcorn balls!

About in third grade, Susan Krankala had a neighborhood party. I was invited because I played in that neighborhood where my grandmother lived.

A little history: When ever there was a parade in town, Daddy and his crew would have a float. The guys would dress up like big breasted women wearing wigs and dresses. The float had an out house and they would do skits. That is where the black wig came from.

I suppose I was embarrassed to be wearing the wig, which on a young girl was perfectly innocent but I was remembering the float and the foolishness. It took prodding to get me to the basement where the party was.

Another party, oh, about four grade or so was in another neighborhood. There was a club, called the Good Cheer Club. It was a Christian sort of after school or early evening with Bible reading and games led by a very nice lady. Well, I did not appreciate a boy pushing my whole head under water in the apple bobbing contest although I know that if you want to get the apple you have to push it to the bottom to get a bite on it. I was probably scared and I remember not having a good cheer attitude toward him or the club. I left and I wasn't quoting scripture.

Someone told the police it was me that turned the chickens loose in the auditorium. It was not. We no longer lived in the country and if we did, we didn't have THAT kind of chickens.

But I was in a car that was stealing chicken eggs and throwing them. I don't know who I was with or if I threw eggs. It certainly was a worse caper than someone named Carol soaping my car. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not soap cars.

My grand parents lived on a limited income. There neighborhood was over run with ghosts and goblins. When the candy was gone, they left the house. Now, if you are out of candy one can just turn the porch light off.

Mother always planned for at least 100 kids. She upped it to 125 one year. My grand parents had come over and mother was out of candy. Mother gathered up dimes as treats to finish out. About 9:30, when I went to bed and my grand parents went home, the door bell was still ringing. They were teenagers kneeling on the step to look short. Mother dropped the last dime and turned off the lights; the bell continued to ring but was not answered. She figured she had treated 250 kids. Amazingly there were no eggs on the windows in the morning. It was 1953.

e

No comments: