Wednesday, October 20, 2010

WHAT TO WEAR




Grandpa Phil worked for the county. He wore chambre shirts. They were greatly used because they were washed in hot water. To touch them was the softest of fabric.




Daddy wore khaki pants and short sleeve shirts, mostly with a small pattern. His hanky was stuffed in his back pocket with the corners sticking up. I can still see him walking to the garage.




Odd, isn't it, how we dress. A friend told me that her husband is retired and chooses to wear shorts, sandals, and a T shirt. She remembers him dressing to the nines in a shirt, tie, and sport coat. We are about the same age; men dressed in freshly ironed shirts and ties are part of the business world we saw growing up.




My sweet Thomas dresses in a dress shirt and tie to go to his hobby every day. He likes being an owner; he likes the people, he likes the business of service. I think he likes the elders telling him they like purple and like his tie.




I don't know about you folks, but bodies change in shape and clothes need to fit the person. And so it came to pass that instead of regular cut, Tom needed the modern cut. Ties moved from 4" to 3 1/2" and are on there way to 3".




Since he is color blind and I like spoiling him, I lay out his clothes. Well, actually hang out his clothes. I do a couple of weeks at a time to get a good rotation. It would be too easy to put him in shades of purple every day! It is his color. No kidding.




The other day he was looking at the ads for garments in the newspaper and announced he needed to get some new shirts and ties. Hey, I am all for it. He asked the difference between the fabrics and the maintenance involved in each on. I don't like 100% cotton because it creases at the elbows.





Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll......last night we ran errands. We went to a department store. The idea was Tom was going to look at shirts and ties. It didn't go so well. He was off looking at belts and didn't seem to be as interested in what the mission was, although it was his idea.

Since I had already missed NCIS and NCIS LA was half over, we went upstairs and looked in his closet. I asked him to pull what he didn't like in shirts and ties. One shirt and 3 ties later, he was done.

So this morning, I made a spread sheet with all his shirts, the kind of fabric, the brand, and the fit(cut). Then, I took a picture of all of them. Next was to group ties into color groups and take a picture of those. Now all I have to do is count the ties and put them on the sheet. After that, put all of it in an envelope and we will be ready to shop.

As he wears the garments, and decides they are over the hill or the ties are done, he can get rid of them and take them off the list. Tonight we are going shopping again and I will be combat ready. You can bet your diamond earrings on that.
Time to count ties.
Tie one on.




e

No comments: