Friday, June 22, 2007

The Candy Store



PUBLISH DATE JUNE 23, SATURDAY




Please think about your child hood candy store. For me, it was Woolworth because they had bins of candy and their was a server behind the counter. I loved chocolate covered peanuts but since you only got a few for a dime, I bought red hots, which were the best buy for the nickel. Greg could put a whole bag in is mouth at one time! The clerk didn't like to wait on kids so we would tap loudly on the glass with the edge of our nickel. And she also always waited on the adults first.




When I stayed with Grandma Mae and Grandpa Phil, I would get a nickel for a popsicle after I had rested. The Mom and Pop store was across a vacant block. I liked grape the best and rootbeer the least. Everyone else must have liked the flavor in that order because rootbeer was all they had, that and banana.





One of the funniest stories I ever heard was when Melvina and Cliff Rye went into the store at Rosewood. It was operated by a man who couldn't speak;h; he may have had a stroke but Mel didn't know that. Cliff told Tom that he wanted two pops. Mel, of course, asked what flavors they had. And Tom couldn't tell her. So Cliff said she would have grape. MEL HATES GRAPE!






The bank in Rosewood had become the store. It even had gas pumps after the garage across the street shut down. I remember the pumps because Daddy would stop and get a couple dollars worth of gas when he went on one of his adventures back to boy hood. Maybe Stolas didn't have it then but it gave Daddy a chance to look the place over and chatter with the locals.




Right after he cut his leg with a saw, Mother, Daddy, Greg, Harry, his brother and his wife Lil and Bruce moved into the bank turned store. That was around Thanksgiving of 1941. There are several references to the bank being built. I will need to get that together for all of us to remember.




But for those of you who have long memories OR are older, there was, at one time a real store in Rosewood. It was run by the Voldness'. See the gas pumps? Look at those cars? Can you tell me the year? Imagine how cold those cars were in the winter! No wonder everyone wore fur coats.


And even if you were too poor to get candy, you weren't too poor to wish for it. Besides one could always collect and sell pop bottles for 3 cents each....or was that how one got money for the movies?


e
















4 comments:

Unknown said...

When you'd tap on the glass at Woolworth's, was it Mable that would wait on you? She was kinda plump, had real thin dark hair? All the years I bought candy there, it was usually Mable that weighed my candy.
When I was 15 I started working at "Inga's Cafe". Mable used to come in after work and have supper. She was really a sweet lady. I'd always try to save her a piece of chocolate cake for her dessert, she was partial to choc. cake and choc. frosting. She was always so appreciative when there would be a piece left for her.
It was during our visiting while she'd order that she told me how she spelled her name and that that spelling had been her father's wish.

Unknown said...

When you'd tap on the glass at Woolworth's, was it Mable that would wait on you? She was kinda plump, had real thin dark hair? All the years I bought candy there, it was usually Mable that weighed my candy.
When I was 15 I started working at "Inga's Cafe". Mable used to come in after work and have supper. She was really a sweet lady. I'd always try to save her a piece of chocolate cake for her dessert, she was partial to choc. cake and choc. frosting. She was always so appreciative when there would be a piece left for her.
It was during our visiting while she'd order that she told me how she spelled her name and that that spelling had been her father's wish.

Unknown said...

Oops..why did it publish it twice?

Unknown said...

Does the Kwik Shop count as a childhood candy store? I remember how all the candy was in boxes at the bottom of the aisle. My favorites were the Jolly Ranchers, especially the apple and strawberry flavors. I still like nothing more on a warm summer evening than to go for a walk and hunt down a diet coke.