Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Reverend Olaf A Anderson's Hymnal

This is the inside cover of Olaf Adolph Anderson's song book. Shirley scanned it for me the early part of last December. It is an important part of history for all of us. It is a part of Olaf. It wasn't like she had it laying on her table, she had given it to Shalin, the oldest child of her youngest child, Juanita. The family worked it out so she could scan it to share with everyone.. Thanks to all for sharing.

In yesterday's post, I asked Shirley about the picture of Olaf with the open book was the book she had. She stated, "The book shown here seems somewhat bigger than the songbook I gave Shalin. The songbook was maybe 5"-5 1/2" high."
Shall we guess these songs were not in English? Don't you wonder what songs were his favorites which are listed as numbers on the page? Pick a book, any book, does that page give you inspiration as Olaf's song book encouraged himself and others?
Shirley's post goes on to say, "As far as I know, Bob is the only one to have contacted Ernie Johnson". Bob did connect with Ernie sometime in the late seventies or early eighties. He may still have the letter. I know it was an important connection for him. He saw him on TV announcing the Braves game.
"I think Ernie is a sportscaster in Atlanta? I've seen him announce several times on TV. Mom said the first time she heard him she was walking through the living room..she stopped short almost recognizing the voice that was coming from the TV. I can't say that I noticed any likeness in their voices". To clarify: Ernie Johnson, Jr. was born in 1956.
"Grandpa Olaf never met his sister Ingeborg. He came to the US before she was born..then when she came to the US, he had already moved to MN. I think I remember hearing that Olaf was 18 yrs older than Ingeborg.It says (from the newspaper) that Olaf was buried on Oct 4, 1917. I think Dad died on Oct. 4, 1967. I can still remember Mom saying after Dad died that Olaf died in '17, Newell in '27 and Dad in '67. "
This information is important to all of us because it gave us a link of information. Shirley googled Ernie Johnson, found the son, which led us to Ernie, which led us to a place to write to his family.
As Ben Franklin said, "Energy and persistence conquer all things." Thanks, Shirley!
e

No comments: