Friday, June 22, 2007

The Spinners


There is much to be said about coming together to work. Here are a group of women from the New Solum area, that indeed got together. The cross over of denominations was almost non existent. In times of joy or pain, or in this case, women working together, there was no denomination.
I adore the idea their central focus was spinning!
I am pleased to announce this photo includes:
Back L to R Julia Opseth Ranum, Caroline (Lena) Lappegaard Mellem, Annie Holten,
Front: L to R Hilda Sagmoen, Nina Mellem Anderson Bloom, Christine Paulson, and Julia Olson Rye.
Think of it! Four of these ladies are related to YOU! Any one out there remember seeing this done? Me? Only at a pioneer festival, and she was making yarn out of cat hair!
Happy spinning!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally I seem to do alot of spinning..my own wheels, that is!
I was thinking when I first looked at this pic that the 3rd lady in the back row might've been Inga Holten, then I read the names and see it's Annie Holten. I wonder if Annie is Inga's mother? I did recognize my 2 grandmothers right away. Then when I looked closer, realized I should've recognized Lena. I wonder if Christine Paulson is the "older woman" that I remember from when I was about 3-4. Mom, Judy and I visited her once and she gave Judy some fabric for Mom to make her a skirt. This Mrs. Paulson lived across the road from Irwin Johnson, North of Rosewood?
Thank God I can edit what I write before I publish it..I had originally put that Christine Paulson was LIVID across the road from Johnson's!

Unknown said...

Oh this is a fantastic photograph! I've seen spinning but only in "old time" pioneer museums, and of course, we had that little spinning wheel at home. I don't know if it worked, but I looked cute posed with it for Christmas cards. I think you sold it for $75 at a garage sale to buy a real camera. Isn't that an interesting link, to think from spinning wheel to camera to local genealogist? Makes perfect sense to me.