Sunday, August 12, 2007

August 12 Rosebank Revisited



This picture was taken shortly after the school was built by Gust and Olaf Opseth using block from Gust's block factory in Rosewood. There is no storm porch, which gives all of us an opportunity to see the finished product as it was intended. My grandmother was pregnant with her first son, Harry, when this school was being built. She hauled the blocks in a wagon to the construction site.

In my daughter's blog, she posted a picture of herself and a group of friends. The quality of the picture was not excellent; just as the one of Rosebank School is not excellent. She asked the readers to comment on whether or not they would use a blurry photograph. I answered I would.

His name was Krogstad. He lived in New Solum. He bought a camera and a processing kit from a mail order catalog. He may have taken this photo as well as several others which have been shared. The pictures which appear to be taken on winter gloomy days all have that same look. In today's standards, with digital cameras or phones, we would reset a camera and take another of a still object. We might even be able to wait for the right lighting, as Ryen did as he rested on the grass at the apartment waiting for the lightening to explode in the sky.

Sometimes the moment has passed by the time we try another snap. That is why I have hundreds of pictures of loons and may be blessed with one-a-summer good picture. It reminds me of an on-line bud from a decade ago. Jim went to California to see the whales. Since he had a camera which required processing, he sent the film out to be developed. Meanwhile, Jim I/Med me to tell me about his trip and his whale watching. It was fun to read his experience. A week or so later, I got a picture in the mail. On the back there was a note, "Well, I thought it would show up bigger". On the front was water with a mini dot of a whale.

May I encourage all of you to take pictures anyway. Try to get snapshots of people doing things or pictures that tell a story. Perhaps many of you lament at the quality of the old pictures as I have. How fortunate we are to have any pictures AT ALL!

Happy Birthday, Lynelle!

e

No comments: