Monday, August 13, 2007

Columbus School revisited

Look how well this school has been cared for! It is, as we have learned, the town hall of New Solum Township. Rosebank became the 4H meeting hall. Both are well cared for.

A question has plagued me about Lloyd Anderson attending Columbus School. As far as we knew, he lived across the road from the Opseth's on the south side of Rosewood.

The answer to the question of Carl Bloom, Lloyd's step father, being on the school board of Columbus and Lloyd attending school there lies in a plat map.

If you go back to the map, you will see that section 33 is across the road from the school. The markers for the school turned town hall stated Lilac Road and County Road 8.

It appears the township as inner boundary lines and it is sectioned into quarters, each quarter having a school. Or at least loose boundaries; remember in the early days there were lots of swamps and no roads. Without looking at the land, I can't understand the ridges and swamps. Can you stretch your mind enough to take all the roads out, see the paths from farm house to farm house on which horses or oxen with buggies or wagons traveled?

My great grandparents moved to the Rosewood area in about 1882 or when my grandfather was three. I am going to try to reconstruct his early education. Wish me luck!

Might want to take a look your families homesteaded area on Goggle Earth and try to get a feel for it. It is a lot different that standing on the seat of my yellow truck with my head out the moon roof looking across the prairie!

Someone I know needs a major hug, are you willing to share?

e

No comments: