Friday, August 17, 2007

Ole L Veele

August 19, 2007



Birthday greetings to Nenna and Robert.



Ole L Veelle, (so spelled on the Minnesota Territorial and State Census of 1885) was born around 1861 and was a resident of New Solum Township. Ole L Veele first shows in the 1885 census of New Solum Township. In 1900, he was farming in Cedar Township of Marshall County. 1910 he was farming in Clakamas, Oregon and was married with four children. He continued to reside in Oregon in the 1920 and 1930 census.



When we learned that Henry Stengelsen was an author, the question arose; was Veele a pen name? No, Ole is a real person.




Ole wrote the New Solum column for the Warren Register newspaper back in 1888.


Read on:


January 18, 1888


Mr. Editor:--


Your valuable paper finds its way to this remote eastern part of Marshall county, and is welcome visitor during our uninteresting winter life, as it is also in the busy summer days, when working midst the poplar groves, wrestling with the mosquitoes and brush; for at that time an interesting newspaper is indeed appreciated.



I have seen nothing in your paper from our town and I thought that many readers from other parts of the country would like to see a few items from this place, even if my sentences should be a little awkward, as it is my first attempt at newspaper correspondence.



I consider it is rather late to state that we had an unusual bountiful crop last summer, on the sand ridges, more than anyone expected, the wheat yielding for 20 to 30 bushels to the acre. But although the crop be ever so good, it is very inconvenient for us to bring to market; but "the star of hope beams in the east," as the construction of a county road has been started between New Solum and Excel, and we all wish it was completed; but "well begun is half done," and it was none too early, either, as not even a bridge has been put up east of the Pembina Trail in Marshall county. Such an undertaking will be highly appreciated and supported by us "Easterners."



The country is well settled. Nearly every quarter section has a settler in this town, and it will be a fine looking country when we get it well improved which would greatly be facilitated by having a good road out here east from Warren.



The soil here, it is true, is sandy, but for stock raising it is be best country in the Northwest. For agriculture it has not been fairly tested yet, as only the sand ridges have been cultivated and these have not yielded very liberally until last year; but we have land between the sand ridges, covered with brush, which is just as good land as can be found in the Northwest. A good graded road would be as useful for us here as a flowing well on the prairie, or water works for Warren.



We have had more snow out here this winter than we have had any previous winters since New Solum was settled. The snow is three or four feet deep on an average and the snowdrifts are so high that they greatly exceed in size the piles of money the Democrats have heaped together in the treasury vaults at Washington.



Our common school in district 27 is prospering under the able management of our teacher, Hilda Thompson. Friday, the 30th of December they had an entertainment in the "Hauge" Church. (In the early 1800’s in Norway, Hans Nielsen Hauge eschewed the formalism of the state church,and he led and encouraged homemeetings and lay participation in church services. During the1850’s and 60’s, many Norwegianswho had been influenced by HansNielsen Hauge immigrated to the states — by necessity as well as inclination —they continued Hauge’s practices of home meetings and lay ministry).


Query:


Will the voters of Marshall County stand by the straight Republican party next November 4th or will they try to sit on the fence like they did the last election



From New Solum News Early February 1888


How do you do, Ole? I'm indeed glad to see you out tyring your young wings. Quite a flight for one so young.


I am very thankful to you for making the attempt. It shows that there is some people out here in this beloved township, too; and it kind of revives any courage, too. Alas! It is not my first "attempt at newspaper correspondence," but I have frequently broken my wings so that I feel now sometimes a chill rush through my marrow when flapping my wings preparatory to a trivial flight. I hope you will have better success. like you, I am a little late this time. You might have reported more recent happenings if you had known it. Since you did not, I am mighty glad of the chance to do so myself.



In short, Christmas was celebrated at Mr. SE Grodem's by a small company of neighbors. It was only a pleasant social gathering. On Tuesday following a meeting was held at the same gentleman's residence, a religious instruction and edification was aimed at and a pleasant, blessed meeting it was.



Then, Ole writes back to this guy the following week of February 18, 1888:



How do you do, Samuel? What is the matter with you? I thought a pretty fellow like you would not say a word against my writing. But when I read your article int he paper, I see you have chosen to sing out to me your, "How do you do?" Well, no wry faces in consequence. You say I am out trying my wings. Just so; one must use wings, for the free thinker atmosphere is so thick here now that one can hardly get through it; but I hope the wings will hold and the flight go on. And you speak of having broken your wings and hope I will not do so; but I'll have to risk it. I knew very well of those gatherings at the SE Grodem's but I did not think them worth noticing, for I think that dancing and such things are not of much interest to report to a newspaper.. And the other meeting which was intended for religious instruction and edification, I think cannot be called by that name for anything that is against the Word of God should NOT have the name religion. I thank you very much for your article and adieu for this time.



So much for news feuds!



e