Sunday, September 23, 2007

More About Ella Rye's Early Life




I visited with Ella when I was in town for the trunk items. I asked her about her education. I did not feel like we had done her justice on the September 15 blog. She stated I needed to ask her daughter's about it.

Her daughter, Judy, did find her 8th grade diploma in the documents she had gleaned from the house earlier. In an email, Judy writes:


"I looked up her 8th grade diploma and it was from TRF Public School. I remember her telling me that Grandpa Rye thought the NDak school system back in those days was very inferior to MN and that he wanted her to go to TRF ... but I can't remember any more details".

Another email regarding Ella's education states:

92207
"I verified with Mom how Grandpa Rye felt about the NDak school system way back then. Mom said she did go to a country school around Adams ND for a while. She said the books were so old, Grandpa asked if they didn't think anything had changed since those books were written! She was going back to school after 8th grade but had an appendicitis attack and that ended her school days".

92307
Added 9 24 2007
Mom and I talked more of her school days yesterday. You were right, she did stay with Clarence and Grandpa Nels Rye when she went to TRF Schools. She only took 3 classes a day (she only needed to take two but they offered a math class and being she loved math, she took that one too). She also stayed with another lady but couldn't remember her name.

After she "graduated" she did housework for a lady living on the St. Hilaire road until she got sick. Alice took over the job but didn't like it and quit.

We must agree that having appendicitis attacks and surgery was a major problem of the times. Many people died because of the infection which followed. We are grateful both Lloyd and Ella survived theirs!

And the best of birthday wishes to Bobbie Jo Schneider, grand daughter of Dorothy Anderson and daughter of Larry Gene. She is 25 today.

Happy first day of fall to all.

e