Friday, November 6, 2009

Quotes about Baseball movies

"And who can say that the Mets didn't sense this, too. That they didn't know all along that this year (1969) at Shea life was imitating not just art, but a United Artist production?" - Roger Angell in The Summer Game (1972)


"Can you even name ten movies with basketball or football as a major theme? After 'Hoop Dreams' and 'Brian's Song,' what have you got? 'The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh' and 'Necessary Roughness' is what." - Will Lingo in Baseball America


"He (Steve McQueen) must have made that before he died." - Yogi Berra


"I had sat in my bedroom as an eight year old, written letters to him (Duke Snider) in care of the Dodgers in far off Brooklyn, begging for an autographed picture. He was more glamorous to me than any movie star because he wasn't acting; he was a real life hero whose luster didn't fade when the film ended." - Bob Greene


"I heard that actors start work at six o'clock in the morning. That sort of soured me on the whole thing." - Pitcher Bo Belinsky


"I'm a ballplayer, not an actor." - Joe DiMaggio


I'm happy to sign a contract (for Shaft in 1971) that doesn't have a reserve clause in it." - Pitcher Vida Blue


"I'm the only former major league ball player who crashed the movies whole hog. Accordingly, I'd act like a ball player, not an actor, in the baseball scenes, and in the rest of the film I'd act like an actor, not a ballplayer." - Chuck Connors on playing Ted Williams in the movies in Baseball Digest (1961)


"I was the player that plunked (Ronald) Reagan with a ball between the eyes as he was heading for second." - Peanuts Lowrey on The Winning Team (1952)


"Jeez, they're going to give me fifty-thousand smackers just for living." - Pitcher Dizzy Dean


"My passion for baseball began with the film Pride of the Yankees. I watched mystified but entranced as Gary Cooper, alias of Lou Gehrig, tried to fulfill his promise to a crippled child to hit three home runs in the same game." - Patrick Morley (founder of UK SABR chapter)


"The boy-and-dog sequence in the movie (The Babe Ruth Story) is very tough to take. Ruth almost kills a pooch on the playing field with a batted ball. The boy owner of the dog is disconsolate. Ruth rushes dog and boy down to a hospital and induces a surgeon to work on the canine. Of course, the dog recovers, but Ruth misses the game and for that, we are told, he is fined $5,000.00 by (Miller) Huggins." - Dan Daniel in The Sporting News (July 26, 1948

No comments: