Friday, October 12, 2007

1 2 3


The children in this picture may remember having it taken. They may all have a copy of the picture. It is called the 1,2,3 picture.

Why is it called the 1,2,3 picture? Because the children were
1 Bob
2. Dick
3. Dorothy had not yet turned four. It was taken in early September.

One of the interesting things about old pictures of the forties, is the ones taken in studios are often colorized. This picture is colorized but it is a proof. That means it was offered but of all of this particular print, this is the only one I have seen tinted.

My son and I experimented with colorization using black and white film and food coloring. It had its merits. Years later, I copied the picture unto water color paper and doodled with it. I have a habit of overdue and it made a muddy, army green Easter egg sort of mess. So if you wish to try colorization, make copies, or use software.

My worn shoes are in California, I off to hug a red wood. Isn't there a song that goes, "It never rains in California" ?