Thursday, October 25, 2007

Meet Snowball



A couple of days ago, we talked about pets. We have, in the past, also shared colorized pictures, specifically of the three oldest Anderson children. Today, we are sharing a colorized pet photograph!




I did not write about the pets my parents had. After I left the keyboard, I started thinking about my Dad and how he had trained or disciplined all the pets that lived with us. And I thought about all the Snowball stories I had heard as a child. Snowball was, the best dog that ever lived with the Ranum's.




I am enclosing two pictures and am asking you to look closely at the black and white picture. Snowball has a pipe in his mouth! I can hear my Dad saying "SIT STAY". As you can see, the dog was not a pure bred, it is hard to guess just what his stock was. We can see he has a long muzzle and lay down ears and a long coat.




What surprises me about the colorized image is that it was done at all. It would be an expense just to have an 8 x 10 made let along have it colored in the late thirties. Someone really loved this dog to have the picture done.




In my search through the pictures from the old trunk, Anderson pets also turned up. I am going to write to one of the children to ask Ella about Sport. He looked like a great dog for children; he was there when Dorothy was little and there are other pictures of him with Dick and Bob when they were three and four, or at the latest four and five.




The Anderson's also had a Spitz. I did not find them listed at the American Kennel Club site, although we know they are a German breed and may have had the name changed. They are listed on the Internet, type in German Spitz for more information. I did find a Spitz in Uncle Olaf's old National Geographic bound books, volume 35 which was printed in 1919. Anderson's Spitz was named Buddy and he was lively! He appeared to have a pure white coat and dark, sparkling eyes and he loved to run!
I wonder how many white, long coated dogs there were in New Solum Township?




Shirley writes to say: Buddy was my dog when I was a kid..Dad said he was Spitz and Alaskan Husky. One summer we had a reddish ring insecticide thingy hanging outside the back door, to help with the flies. One day I went outside, using the back door. The ring of stuf had been bitten in half, some has still there but just bits of the other half left on the steps. Dad was of course at work so Mom called a vet telling him what we thought had happened. He told Mom to beat 2 raw eggs and some milk and pour down Buddy's throat..The hardest part of the treatment was catching the damn dog..he thought it was a new game. He didn't appreciate the treatment at all but, didn't get sick from his ingesting the concoction either.