Monday, February 9, 2009

HOW DO YOU WALK?

As far back as Old Trunks can remember, Body English has been a study for me. Perhaps it was the people watching from the car on LaBree Avenue with my dad that started it all. Although not an expert, I still do like to watch people when they are not aware of the study. Let's look at some of the different walks and think about someone we know that fits the description!

Speedy Gonzales
Gets things done
May over look details
Take time to speaker to others


Strutting your stuff
Confidence
Capability
Big ego?
Strut with a humble smile
Make pleasant conversations as you walk


Clack-clack-clacker
Heavy walking let's others know you are coming
Not suitable for some occupations
Wear rubber soled shoes NOT cowboy boots


Always behind the group in a walk
Signals you don't have interest
Wear more comfortable shoes
Pick a occupation where you don't have to keep up


Silent Sneaker
No one knows your coming
May not get noticed when you do arrive


Slumped shoulders
Lack of confidence
Work on it


Eyes straight ahead
Confident
Focused
Eyes on the future
Consider: Sales


Slow walker
Thoughtful
Detail oriented
Pick a career where careful counts, i.e. health care


The Zig Zagger
May appear not to be efficient
Consider Retail


Eyes down
Not confident
May appear focused
Not interested in those around them
Pick profession where the work is right under your nose.
Learn eye contact.


Me? At the nursing home, families would comment on my posture and my eye contact with residents. Let's consider that I had two parents who walked tall. Who do we learn such traits from? Do we mirror the image of those we are walking beside?

Although I walk tall, I do not walk fast. What is the hurry, anyway? Where's the fire? Perhaps I stroll. How funny it must look when Tom walks several paces ahead of me as we head to the boat to fish. I just tell people he is looking for land mines and wants to keep me safe.

What's your voice on this?

No comments: